Thursday, May 05, 2005

Tha Last Polka


The Happy Wanderers!


I really miss John Candy. If you were to ask me who my favorite comic actor is, it'd have to be a tie between Bill Murray and this guy. As a kid, It was John Candy, hands down. If you like John Candy, Eugene Levy and SCTV, find yourself a copy of the 1982 HBO mockumentary, The Last Polka, which I only recently realized was a spoof on Scorcese's documentary about The Band's final concert at Madison Square Garden, The Last Waltz.

The Last Polka was written by John Candy and Eugene Levy and is based on SCTV characters, Yosh and Stan Shmenge. It also has Catherine O'Hara and Rick Moranis. I rented it and made myself a dub (sorry, FBI). There's been a tape in my family of this, but it was recorded off of HBO back in the early 80's. I'm glad to have updated it. At least it's in stereo, now.

While Christopher Guest and Co. were doing This is Spinal Tap, Eugene Levy and other Second City players were on SCTV north of the border in Toronto. They'd later team up to make mockumentaries about dog shows, community theater and folk bands. I think The Last Polka is every bit as funny as This is Spinal Tap. It's just a little shorter and smaller in scope. Plus, where else do you get to see Rick Moranis sing a polka version of The Doors' "Touch Me?" If you want a copy, let me know and I'll send you one (again, sorry, FBI).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, nice pictures. it was so much fun. can't wait til you guys come in.

Thursday, May 05, 2005  
Blogger andrew m. said...

that's fantabulous (sorry, i just got back from lunch with don king and that motherfucker has a flat out infectious way of speaking.) i gotta rent this flick because i too am powerless when it comes to the masterful comedy of the late, great john candy. i must have rewound that scene in home alone where he's in the uhaul truck w/ catherine o'hara and the polka band about 1,000 times. i especially love when he tells the story about accidentally leaving his kid alone in the funeral parlor for a whole day with the corpse.

sidenote: this blog is fucking hilarious. the last texan that made me laugh this hard was the legend himself, mr. bill hicks.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005  
Blogger Clint said...

Well, it may help to know I'm not a true Texan. I'e been here for six months. I from Chicago/NW Indiana. Thanks for visiting the blog.

Thursday, July 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter