Saturday, August 20, 2005

A Good Churchin'

That's what I got tonight. A good old-fashioned Texas-style Baptist Churchin'. And, boy, I needed it! There was a church group in the main ballroom tonight having a banquet in recognition of their Pastor. I think it was for fifty years of Service. They even read a letter Fed-Ex'ed to the Hyatt during the event from the White House signed by G-Dubbya, himself. Between all the last minute changes and additions, it was a pretty hectic tech job. I was the sound and lighting guy for the night, and it certainly wasn't boring. I have to admit that some of the speakers were pretty damn, excuse me, darn good orators. They really know how to weave words and make people excited. I'm not sure, but I think I may have been Born Again! If not, then I was this close.

One of the highlights which almost made my head explode were the "Spirit Dancers." This lady came up to me with a CD player/radio boom box and asked if she can put it next to the wireless mic that was situated beneath the piano (which wound up never being used, anyway) for the Spirit Dancers. I said I'd patch it into the sound board instead, and she would come back to the tech table to play the right track when it was time. Well, the time came and WOW, did they dance in the Spirit! It was as though they were sending a Spaz-O-Gram to the Lord, and I think he got it - loud and clear. The Spirit Dancers (I have to assume "Spirit Dancers" is capitalized) rocked the mother-lovin' House!

Everyone was really cool in there, definitely more so than most high-strung, money-crazed corporate clients. And though I'm not a black southern Baptist, at least not yet, it was a pretty fun show.

6 Comments:

Blogger Clint said...

Praise Jesus!

Monday, August 22, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i take (drag) michael to church (catholic) every sunday and he said he'd rather go to a black church where everybody's singing and dancing. i have to say i like the catholic monotonous way. i just don't like the screaming.

g

Monday, August 22, 2005  
Blogger Clint said...

Did you ever see "The Ladykillers" or "The Blues Brothers," Grace? There are pretty funny examples of the classic black southern baptist experience in those movies. Even though BB was in Chicago. The only movie with a good example of the Catholic church I can think of is "The Exorcist."

Monday, August 22, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about "Nuns on the Run?"

Monday, August 22, 2005  
Blogger Clint said...

Okay, "Nuns on the Run" and the "Sister Act" films.

Monday, August 22, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"nuns on the run"? i have to definitely see that one.
-i'm flying in next weekend. i'm really excited!!!

g

Tuesday, August 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter